Day 2 on Isle of Carna (22nd May 2016)

Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 22.16.45Freya Steele Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 22.19.25Freya Steele Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 22.22.49Freya Steele


Woken up bright and early to the sound of silence, the island was so quiet it was difficult to get out of bed in the morning. We had breakfast and packed our bags ready to head out and explore. Squeezing into my wet boots we set off.


We went along the coast of the island so we could check out the shoreline as well as the sea and the land. We were led by Cain and Heather through paths made by animals. Within these paths there was plenty of evidence that different species had travelled through. We identified signs of otter though spraint and faeces, deer through footprints and fox through faeces.


It took us six hours to trek only a few miles around the coast because we kept stopping to observe different signs of wildlife. The point of the walk was to place camera traps to capture animals and identify possible new species on the island. We found areas for five camera traps. One was what we thought was a passage for otter from the water to the land as there was an obvious path and plenty of faeces and spraint. The second was a crumbly old wall where we thought small mammals would live. The third was placed in a forest filled with bluebells on a tree by an obvious path used by possibly deer, otter or fox running straight through. The fourth was placed on a tree close to where we spotted a red deer. Finally, the fifth was placed on the jetty by our cottage, hoping to capture the otter.


During our long walk we saw a green veined butterfly, chaffinch, seagull, hooded crow, seals (roughly 27), song thrush, buzzards, otter, urchins and a drinker moth caterpillar.


After a very long day walking, burning plenty of calories we had to gain them again. So we went back to the cottage and I made a giant curry and it definitely didn’t touch the sides. To try and save energy the generator for the lights, water and electricity turns off at 11pm so we had to be ready with torches or tucked up in bed at 11pm. As you can imagine we were very tired so as soon my head hit the pillow I was gone.